About the open labs
Daniels Hall rooms 108 and 110 form an "open lab" that is available to students and, subject to certain restrictions, alumni and Elmhurst residents. All other lab rooms are reserved for classes and related lab work.
Systems and software
- PCs running Windows® 7
- DVD readers and CD burners
- Two scanners
- Two laser printers (monochrome, duplex)
- Microsoft Office™ 2016
- Microsoft Visual Studio® 2015 *
- Various other software *
* Licensed for academic use only; not for use by visitors.
While in the labs
To improve security and access to the College's network, most public computers and classroom/lab computers will require you to log on to the computer with your Technology Account before use. It is important that you get into the habit of logging off of the computer when you are finished, especially since the Portal has single sign-on capabilities and the integrated access it will provide to all campus systems.
- For security reasons, you may be asked to show proof that you are an Elmhurst College student. Please have your Jaypass ID card available to display on request.
- If you bring a snack or drink into the lab (we'd rather you didn't), please leave your workspace in a reasonably clean condition for the next user.
- Be considerate of other users. When conversing, speak in subdued tones; use your cell phone only in a corridor or lobby; if you listen to a radio or music player (with earphones, of course) while working, please keep the volume turned down.
- It is advised that you reboot the computer when you have finished to remove any personal data.
- The lab does not support color printing or printing on special papers. Do not load envelopes, stationery or legal–size paper in the paper trays. Contact the Central Printing department instead.
- In the event of a paper jam or other malfunction, ask a student technican for help. Do not attempt to fix the problem yourself.
- When printing in the open labs, you must release the print both on the PC and at the print release stations. To release a print at the print release stations you must login with your eNumber and Elmhurst Campus Portal account password.
- Web print is now available. College members can now print from personal devices. Members can submit print jobs to the Library and Daniel's Hall printers. Print jobs can be submitted on the PaperCut.elmhurst.edu page by logging in with eNumbers and portal passwords.
- There are two scanning stations in the open labs.
- In the event of a malfunction, ask a student technician for help. Do not attempt to fix the problem yourself.
Classroom and open lab information
- Files on local hard drives are erased whenever computers are restarted. Saving to the hard disk is convenient but unwise; if the computer hangs or is restarted for any reason, your files on the hard disk will be lost!
- To save your work, it is recommended that you email a copy of your file to yourself, use a USB Flash drive, or store your files in online storage (such as OneDrive).
- You'll find shortcuts to most curricular software in the Applications folder on the Windows desktop.
- Because many users share the computers in our labs, do not use desktop email software such as Outlook Express in the labs. Use a web browser to access your Elmhurst College email or other personal email accounts.
- It is advised that you reboot the open lab or classroom lab computer when you have finished to remove any personal data.
For additional support, please call the Help Desk at 630-617-3543, or find a student tech in the office located in Daniels Hall, room 107.