Operating the classroom PC
- Booting up the computer: The classroom computer is scheduled to be "ON" before the start of class. If the screen is black, make sure the monitor is on and wiggle the mouse to wake up the display, or turn the monitor off and on again.
- Saving files: If you want to save a file on the classroom PC, you must save the file in the "Instructor Files" drive. A shortcut to this drive is located at the top-center of the Desktop.
- Deep Freeze: The security agent "Deep Freeze" deletes all data from the computer at the end of each day, when the PC is turned off. This means that all files outside of the "Instructor Files" drive will be deleted from the computer at the end of each semester.
Classroom PCs provide internet access via Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. The PCs are also equipped with Microsoft Office 2016, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Standard Elmhurst College software and utilities include:
- Microsoft Office 2016
- Adobe Creative Cloud 2017
- Internet Explorer
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- VLC Media Player
- Adobe Flash
Need software installed?
Elmhurst College faculty can request software installations for a classroom PC; please provide advanced notice to the Help Desk.
Using a webcam on a classroom computer
- Obtaining a webcam: If you need to use a webcam in your class you may either bring your own, or borrow one from the Help Desk in Goebel Hall.
- Setting up the webcam: Most webcams are easy to use and install. Typically, the webcam is placed on the top of the computer’s monitor and held in place by a foldable arm attached to the back of the camera.
- Plugging in the webcam: Once the camera has been set in place, it can be plugged into one of the USB ports located on the front of the computer. On the computer’s monitor you should see a notification pop up telling you that your device is ready to use.
- Each classroom is equipped with a computer that has Skype pre-installed.
- Once the camera has been set up, double-click on the Skype icon.
- Once Skype has been started, you will be prompted to sign in.
- Once signed in, you will be able to call or video-chat with any of your contacts.
- To add a new contact, click the "Add a contact" link just below the Contact List, and add type your contact’s Skype Name or Phone Number into the corresponding textbox and press "+Add."
- Once the new contact has accepted your request, you simply need to click on the name in your Contacts List and then click the "Video Call" button to begin chatting.
Note: If you need further assistance with Skype, watch the help videos. These can be found by navigating to Skype "Home" and clicking "View help videos" in the "Learn how to use Skype" area of the window.
If you have any questions or need extra help with A/V equipment, call the Help Desk at 630-617-3767 or visit Goebel Hall.